Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ouch! - A Typical Visit to John Ball

http://johnballdc.com/

I didn't know what to think as all that pain shot straight to my brain, holy shiiiit! I laid on my side, grunting and groaning, partly exposed (such a good idea to wear my running shorts) to Natasha and Emily. However, none of that mattered, as John Ball continued to work in his stoic manner, scraping away years worth of wonderfully hardened scar tissue that had built up in my right butt cheek. I thought that by grimacing and slamming my eyelids shut as tightly as I could, I might somehow escape some of the piercing pain. Not in the least. 


A trip to John Ball is like visiting a real-life witch doctor, but one that specializes in healing broken or ailing athletes. He begins by asking you what the problem is, and after struggling to characterize your discomfort by combining greatly descriptive words such as "leg...hurt" and "butt...tight," he orders a series of movements such as touching your toes or hopping up and down. In a matter of seconds he has silently analyzed your problem: you run too much. Next, he plops you down onto his padded table, and, if your lucky (which I was not) takes you through a few adjustments. Wa la! You're healed!

I've returned to Flagstaff (J.B. lives in Phoenix) bumped, bruised, and very sore but assuredly much better off than before. John Ball works his magic on many of us on the team, and I know we are all greatly appreciative.

I'm looking forward to another great week of training as I get ready for USA XC Nationals February 5th in San Diego (home town what what!). It's coming up fast and I'm prepared but in the meantime it will be exciting to watch our marathoners tackle the big 26.2 in Houston January 30th. I know I'll be fired up!

No comments:

Post a Comment