Monday, January 28, 2013

Getting Educated

I promised a recap of the USATF coaching clinic last week and here it is! For starters, I have to echo my sentiments from last week. The course was an excellent resource and great stepping stone for any coach at any level. I have been a part of the sport (track & field) for years now and I came away with a far better understanding of the different skills, mechanics, and science behind every discipline.

The course ran from Friday evening until the early afternoon on Sunday, about 22 total classroom hours. The course was meant as a comprehensive introduction to the methods of coaching track & field and went over everything from coaching philosophy and ethics to biomechanics and specific event training. We had three great instructor-coaches who did an excellent job of breaking down their subject areas. You can view the coaches and their credentials from the USATF event page.

Naturally, I had a great interest in what the curriculum had to say about the endurance events but I went into the weekend focusing most closely on what I could learn from the other events I was less familiar with. Sure, I have seen my fair share of sprinters, throwers, hurdlers, and jumpers practice and compete, but I would struggle mightily trying to explain how they do what they do! At the surface, track & field doesn't seem so overt a scientific process, but if you want to understand how to sprint faster or jump higher it would behoove you to learn some of the basics. Most of my education has not been based in the sciences and although I've read a few books that touch on physiology the concept of kinematics was relatively new to me and I didn't realize you could discuss the 100 meters in terms of displacement, Newton's 2nd Law (F=ma), and momentum.

Going in with an open mind and a willingness to learn was my greatest advantage and allowed me to really take in all of the fascinating topics. I was glad to have a few familiar faces in the classroom with me (shout out to fellow Bruin and vaulter Casey DiCesare!) and it was great to feel the energy in the room and the genuine passion for the sport that every individual had. If you are going to spend 22 hours in a classroom on a weekend you had better have passion!

I was glad that I took another step to becoming a better athlete and down the road a solid coach. I've slowly discovered over time how much I enjoy working with athletes of all ages and sharing in the discovery of their talents. I have a series of influential people in my life who have helped shape this desire and I feel it is only right to give them the credit they deserve. So, thank you Coach Downey, Paul Greer, and lastly Forest Braden - you continue to provide me with inspiration daily!

I will continue to educate myself, keep an open mind, and listen. Coach Guarino  at USD has allowed me to work as a volunteer coach this past fall and now this spring and I look forward to working with a dedicated group of young men and women this season. I'm also chomping at the bit to start my MS in Exercise Science and Health Promotion (focus in Performance Enhancement) tomorrow! I have my textbooks out and I'm ready to build off my experience from last week.

If you are a fan, athlete, or coach definitely check out the USATF Coaching Education course options near you. It is worth the experience. If you happen to be an endurance lover in the SoCal area maybe check out this gem of an opportunity: The Running Summit, a level 3 course (open to everyone), is coming to town with some of the most brilliant minds in the sport! I know I'll be there!

To end I'll list a few of my favorite topics from the course last weekend:

- The "drag" start (video here)
- the Transfer of Momentum and Hinged Moment (video here, see between 8-12 seconds in)
- the Concepts of Periodization - I really enjoyed learning the universal terms such as macro/micro-cycle and their application to planning training.
- Multilateral Training - includes the training of five primary biomotor abilities: strength, speed, endurance, flexibility, and coordination.

I like to hear from others about their experiences (Twitter is a heavenly tool for that) so if you have something to share, I want to hear about it!

As always, who can you inspire?










No comments:

Post a Comment