Thursday, January 27, 2011

No "I" in Team

I am reminded almost every day that the decision to live and train in Flagstaff with McMillanElite was the best choice I could have made in continuing my career, and this week was no different. USA Cross Country Nationals are less than a week and half away, and as the marathon crew made their final preparations to race this Sunday in Houston, I was also priming myself for my competition February 5th in San Diego. 

This week I had two key workouts that I set out to make my best yet and build upon my growing confidence even more. Monday I had a very solid steady state effort, which I was super pleased with, but it was Wednesday that was a special day in my mind, for two reasons. The team had woken up early Wednesday morning to travel to Sedona for some warmer weather and work on the track. I was tasked with completing 25 quarters at around 10k race pace, and since many of the guys/gals were racing this weekend or not focusing on XC, this was going to be a solo effort. 


I had a terrific workout, nailed each rep, and felt very strong and in control - that was reason number one. However, the thing that struck me most was the immense of amount of support and camaraderie that my teammates showed by hanging around the infield of the track while I completed my workout. Many of them had been done for quite some time but they all stuck around to cheer and push me on. It would be dishonest on my part not to credit them for helping me achieve a new breakthrough in my training. Every word of encouragement they gave lifted my spirits even as my legs grew heavier. The sense of accomplishment I felt after finishing my last rep extended out towards everyone present, and not only had I done something great but we the team had as well. 

This is how we get better - individuals coming together in search of a common goal, supporting each other in pursuit of that goal, and together, achieving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment