Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Planes (Trains and Automobiles) and Coaching

US 8k Championships:

The internet, ipods, robots, and hot pockets....even though we live in the 21st century it seems like travel is lagging behind our other futuristic inventions. Shouldn't we be able to beam ourselves to any location through our mobile phones GetMeThereNow app? In any case I spent the better part of a weekend traveling to and from the charming town of Carmel, IN. If it wasn't delays that lasted for 4 hours due to inclement weather, it was oddly arranged layovers and connections that brought me farther from my destination before ushering me home. In spite of this, I did enjoy a well-planned championship event and great competition. 


Pensive before the start.
The race itself was filled with very capable runners and the early pace demonstrated that. After a slow first half mile the pack quickly hastened forward covering the first mile in under 4:30. It had been a while since I had gone out so quickly and I felt the effects later. I was slowly spit out the back of the lead pack and relegated to chasing the competition. A rough last two miles had me finishing in 19th place, but optimistic for my upcoming competitions (Race Replay on Runnerspace: US 8k Championships
Finish Video here. My body is still adjusting and training has been solid. Patience, patience, is the key. Up next are a local 5k in Bonita this weekend, and then the US 10k Championships the following week in Atlanta!  


In other news:

Since moving back I have been searching for coaching opportunities around San Diego and recently was contacted by Coach McCarthy of University City High School, a school in my old league. He offered me a position and I have recently accepted his offer. I am really looking forward to sharing my knowledge with the future champions of our sport. This group of high schoolers is very dedicated and summer training has begun in earnest! Got to love the enthusiasm! 


check them out here!
Connecting with old friends has also been a theme since returning and it has reminded me of how important a role my friends in the running community have played in supporting me. It has been their enthusiasm that refuels my own passion for the sport and makes me yearn for more. One group in particular, the San Diego Track Club, is an exceptional example of how running fosters community well-being. If you are an SD local and have an interest in running or are already an avid runner I highly recommend checking out this fun group (the schedule can be found on their site, see link above). An integral leader of the group, and mentor of mine, Paul Greer, continues to inspire me every day with his passion for the sport and genuine interest in helping others succeed. Paul inspires me in the same way I hope to inspire others through my words and actions. Always remember to ask yourself, who have you inspired? 







No comments:

Post a Comment