Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Local Road Race Spirit

This weekend Natasha and I jumped into a local road race for some low-key action. I had previously competed at this meet a few years back and remembered it to be a great community event and I wasn't disappointed. We got up at the crack of dawn (4:30AM!) and ate our typical pre-race meals- some toasted bread, banana and UCAN for me, and dried bananas and soy-nut butter for Natasha. After showering to wake up and packing up our things we made the quick twenty min drive down to Bonita, CA. The race was being held at beautiful Rohr Park, the site of many of my high school cross country invites (nostalgia always sets in when I revisit places like these). 

We were one of the first to arrive when we pulled into the almost empty parking lot. A few tents had been set up and volunteers (the majority of which were local high schoolers) milled about in oversize race t-shirts trying to keep warm in the soft chill of the morning. Natasha and I wandered over to the sign in table and picked up our bib numbers before starting our warm-up. As more and more people showed up I started to recognize familiar faces. I was excited to be back into the San Diego running scene! 

As the 7:30AM race time neared, I pulled out my jersey and slipped it on. Jogging over to the start line I rehearsed my plan for the day: just go out hard and push - nothing fancy. Now, towards the end of my racing season I'm focusing on staying fresh and sharp, and in two weeks time I want to be prepared for a quick 10k at the US Championships. 
The start
At the line the small crowd of racers settled in- and at the starters command, took off! I popped into the lead right away and led a small group of five through the first mile in 4:40. Hoping to drop off a few of my chasers I threw in some surges that next mile. A little after the second mile it was down to three, two competitors right at my heels. One final surge to break them going into the final long stretch didn't work and I made the rookie mistake of letting up just a bit. As they passed I felt the air in my lungs escape me and, recovering too late, found myself gapped. In a blink of an eye I had finished. Third place, under the old course record, and $75 dollars richer, not to mention a road personal best (14:39). Natasha cruised in for first place and a nice payday as well, running 16:48. 
Leading the group past a mile and a half
What I appreciate most about races such as these is that you can enjoy in pleasures of racing and competing with the community of runners that assembles. Whether you are an elite, a weekend warrior, age-grouper, or just out for a run and cool shirt, you can share in the experiences of others. For instance, while others may be impressed by how fast I can run, I am equally if not more impressed by the old-timers (I'm talking 70-90 year olds here) that come out on a regular basis to run these 5ks, 10ks, halfs, and marathons(!). Big props to Richard Gauntner, Richard Williams, and Martha Walker for throwing down paces of 6:55, 8:28, and 9:50 per mile for this 5k! Incredible. 

So next time you want to have a great start to your weekend, pick out a local road race and join in on the spirit of community and running! You never know who you could inspire! 


No comments:

Post a Comment