Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A "World Record" and Good Times

While it may be snowing and slushy outside in Flagstaff (what is going on, it's the middle of May!) I'm staying warm and relaxed after a nice massage and easy run. This past weekend I made my way out west to the Bay Area to compete in the 100th running of the Bay to Breakers competition. Historically known as  a fun-filled way for people to semi-officially party through the streets of San Francisco, this year saw the race start a little earlier and alcohol banned on the course. However, that didn't deter loyal patrons and competitors from dressing up and taking to the streets!


Unlike one of my usual road races this one would prove most decidedly different. LinkedIn, the professional networking site, had assembled a team of runners ready to compete in the Human Centipede Division. What makes this event so unique is that all 12 runners that make up the team are attached, in a line, by a two foot bungee cord. This is no small feat, and considering most of our team had never run like this before (who has really?) it's even more amazing what we were able to accomplish. We not only set a course and "world record" by 40 seconds but we also managed to break into the top 10 had we been an individual - impressive I think.


I can't begin to thank enough the generosity of LinkedIn (transform your career!) and my teammates, who made this race fun and engaging. I will definitely hold this race in high regard and look to return in the future. Now, it's back to sharpening up in Flagstaff for the US 8k and 10k Champioinships in June and July! I can't help but feel I'm turning a corner and big things are in store!


P.S. If you want to check out results or just see what this awesome race is about, hit it up here!

No comments:

Post a Comment