Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Edits and New Ideas!

To begin... an Editors Note: 


Since starting a blog I have tried not to spend so much time absorbed in editing and designing my blog, but I can't help but poke around all the functions and try out new things. On top of that whenever I see someone else's blog I get new ideas for mine - I just want it all! So, after a few hours of playing around (and even trying my hand at html) I've settled on this new design. Still the same me on the other end just a little more flair I think (well, I hope). 


On to the good stuff though:


Since finishing up with Fit Kids two weeks back I have found an odd little hole missing from my life. Once a week I would travel down to Cottonwood, AZ, full of enthusiasm for the day ahead. I really didn't understand the impact that an athlete can have on kids until I started to coach a few at the local YMCA and through Fit Kids. 


I say this a lot, but I think it bears repeating because we all can be forgetful. Whenever we as individuals get locked in to a daily routine we can sometimes miss the extraordinary impact we have on other people. This is especially true for professional athletes, whose training consumes large parts of their day, week, and year. I had absentmindedly missed the important place I had in the community until I started interacting with parents and their children. I knew I had a small role to play in their lives whenever a parent came up to me to say how she is so pleased her kids want to go outside to play rather than sit inside, or when I see the intent and undivided attention in the eyes of a ten year old when they ask me a question and wait for my answer. 


I believe it is these moments that make what I do - running towards my dreams - all worth it. Even if I never reach my loftiest of goals I can know that somewhere along the way I may have pushed another person to pursue their personal dreams - and maybe, just maybe, I'll have inspired a future NCAA Champion, Olympian, or record holder! So it never hurts to ask yourself, who can you inspire today? 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coaching those kids Marco. You made a positive impression on them that will last a life tme.

    ReplyDelete