Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Sedona Shootout and Finding Inspiration

I'm dividing this latest blog into two parts (the title helps to explain) and probably will only get to the first part because it's getting late but I'll most definitely finish up tomorrow!

The Sedona Shootout! 

Most Flagstaff winter morning's welcome me with a fine, crisp, and biting cold that seeps into my bones. This 5 degree morning was no different as I made my way out of my house - my own fortress of warmth - and into my car to make the quick journey to Sedona for our much anticipated time trial. Thankfully, Sedona is God's way of offering refuge for weary frostbitten Flagstaff runners and it was a beautiful day, 50s and clear skies, paradise in the middle of winter.

Sedona Red Rock High School



I was really looking forward to my 1500 trial as a way to jump start my training again following USAs in San Diego. As I made my way down to Sedona, following the winding road and occasionally passing the slow, sight-seeing tourist I went through a few new pre-race mental calisthenics. I've understood for a long time the importance of consistent physical preparation for racing and hard efforts but at times forgot to go through any mental prep with the same determination. So, as I sang along to my radio to erase any leftover jitters, I envisioned myself as an Olympian, already proven and supremely confident, heading to do his favorite workout, one where he is allowed to run smooth and fast. Occupying myself with this simple thought helped to set my mind and block the "what-if" doubts from creeping in, because today I was making no room for them.

The time trial went great! I went through my practiced routine: warming up, drills, strides etc and when it came time to hit the starting line I was loose and excited. As an added bonus it was very cool to have the Halls (Ryan and Sara) stick around and cheer us on as we competed. I ran controlled and finished fast and for the first time in a while felt that tingling addictive joy the last half of the race as I waited until I would let myself run faster. Every runner, no matter the level, has felt the same surreal feeling of power and confidence that overcomes your body and overrides the burning discomfort of lactic acid. It's every runner's personal epiphany where they say to themselves: I'm unbeatable.

The time trial did just what I had hoped it would, announcing that the track season was here! My teammates also did well, having great runs of their own. It was exciting to watch and cheer them on as always and be able to share in their experience.

The time trial was definitely a highlight for the day, however, the real inspiration came from my time working with the kids of Cottonwood Elementary School for Fit Kids and Kids on the Run. It's funny how I always seem to learn more from working with kids than they probably learn from me - check back in for tomorrow's blog when I explain how I found some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment