Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Time for Firsts: SD Half Marathon


I've been MIA with my last two blog posts but I have good excuses, I promise. I'm sure you want interesting and engaging posts and I've been kept busy the past two weeks with school work, seminars, coaching, and training! That means my brain is brimming with tons of inspired thought (at least I hope!).

Since my graduate work has begun most Sunday evenings I'm left spent from absorbing that week's material. I've been amazed week in and week out at the unique characteristics of the human body - simply amazing (and intricate)! If you don't believe me just glance over this webpage on the shoulder complex for a few minutes. 

I capped off this week in style I think by competing in my first half-marathon! This time last year I hadn't really started "training", I was running, but not really training, because of the pain I had in my lower back still. Well, I've come a long way - not perfect - but way better. In this year's goal setting session with Natasha I had written down I wanted to be able to run a solid half-marathon. The stipulation being that I had to complete a block of uninterrupted training of at least 70 mpw with a threshold run of up to 6 miles and aerobic threshold (marathon pace) run of up to 10 miles. These weren't accomplished all in one week mind you, just consistently scattered throughout. 

Turns out I was able to do all of the above and I "treated" myself to this week's San Diego Half Marathon. Before I continue, I highly recommend this half if you are looking for a scenic, flat (relatively speaking), and well run race. Check out the course map, be wary of the Washington Street hill (200+ ft over 1.5 miles), but also make note of the significant downhill from mile 10 to the finish. 

In summary, the day turned out to be perfect with starting temp in the 50s. I took second overall and had a blast being able to enjoy running through the streets of my hometown (results here). I even passed within 100m of my apartment during the race! I don't have plans to run another half this year, but things might change as the fall rolls around. 

I'm so happy to have Chocolate GenUCAN! 
With this race capping my conditioning period I'm looking forward to making another transition in training and competing on the track a few times this spring. I've had plans to compete in the 800 and 1500 on the track and a road 5k here or there through June. I'm feeling confident again and enjoying the process of training and racing. 

I'll close this week's blog with my moment of the week. Yep, it's not my half-marathon. As you might know, I help run a small nonprofit called 2nd Recess that works with youth to expose them to fun and fitness through running and track & field. Well, this week we had Olympian and too-many-to-count national champion race-walker Tim Seaman come out and visit our group. He, his wife, and one of his athletes took our 30+ kids through race-walking drills and games. They had a blast! It's hard to describe the feeling I get when practice is over and you know in your gut that somehow you have made a small difference in a young person's life. That's true inspiration. Here are a few photos and video from our 2nd Recess session, enjoy! 

The 2nd Recessers after mastering race-walking! 


Here, the 2nd Recessers are learning a race-walking drill. Basics first! You can hear Paul Greer of the San Diego Track Club in the background coaching the Rockin' N' Runnin' training group prepping for June's Rock & Roll marathon.

Who can you inspire? 















No comments:

Post a Comment