Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Coaching Full Circle!

December marked the end of my first two seasons of coaching. First, with the boys of University City High School and second, with the youth running group I co-founded, 2nd Recess. Both ventures were very successful and I have come away from these experiences wiser.

It is my belief that everyone can find success through running, no matter their ability. Hard work and commitment allow a person to shine. I pass this message on to my athletes young and old and hope that resonates as strongly with them as it does me.

Coaching has taught me patience and the value of good communication. Developing a team or an athlete is akin to designing and constructing a building. If you want it to last you can't skip steps or use cheap materials. Everything must be done with care and quality. Thankfully I've had these opportunities to share my experiences with others and in turn learn a whole lot more about my life as an athlete.

Although I'm still unable to fully train I have been able to hone the mental and psychological skills I'll need to take my career to the next level. I would have never had the opportunity if injury and chance had never knocked on my door!

In the end I have come to believe that we can all enact lasting change and inspiration on ourselves and others through our actions. Inspiration through action. I ask myself how I can inspire others through my actions - and you should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment