Monday, October 10, 2011

Hips Don't Lie

I have taken an unexpected hiatus from blog writing, but I'm back! The last several weeks have been interesting but enlightening for me. I suffered an enigmatic back injury that has sidelined me from running for over 7 weeks but it has become an injury that has taught me more about myself than my previous 10 years of training. Countless chiropractic sessions, acupuncture, physical therapy and few doctor's visits have concluded that something is up with my sacroilliac joint, commonly referred to as the SI joint. 

This joint is located on either side of your pelvis and connects the sacrum to the ilium (see photo). The joint plays an important role when you run by absorbing the impact and movement as you move. Over the years my poor postural alignment (hips and lower back) placed undue stress on the joint and created a big ball of inflammation. 

The first few weeks were especially rough. I had never had to take off more than a day or two from running because of some sort of injury. It was maddening. I wanted the pain and discomfort to just disappear with the treatments I was getting for it. It wasn't until several weeks later that I resigned myself to stop running altogether and allow it to heal properly. So, I took up swimming, which I continue to do (I'm proud to say I swam 30 minutes today!). 

This injury has taught me so much about my body and how it works. My previous understanding of our "core" has been blown apart and I'm taking a new stance on approaching the optimization of my strength and mobility. I'm still learning but the results have been noticeable. My pain has subsided and I'm hoping to begin some jogging next week! I've included yoga and pilates with my swimming and rehab routines and they are definitely mainstays as I move forward. 

However, I'm most glad this hurdle came along because my mind and body have been refreshed and I'm ready and raring to go as soon as I'm ready. I never had a healthy sense of patience but now that I've been forced to choke down my daily dosage I won't be without it again. 

Finally, I have to be eternally grateful to my girlfriend, Natasha. She has had to deal with my irritable, depressed self for more days than anyone should. She showed more compassion and concern that I could have asked for and I love her for every bit of it. Thanks Tash :) 




2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! A healthy runner is a fast runner! Sergio and I have been there and when there are two runners in the house it is truly a TEAM effort! It will make you both stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted on Nick's blog, but I too had back problems, ei herniation of L45. Its not the herniation but the muscle compensation that causes problems. Used to be a bike racer for years and could not really run because of tight hips from psoas and IT tightness. Now use trigger points to keep it in check, really enjoying the running as my stride opens up.

    ReplyDelete